Steven C. Laird
Law Offices of Laird & McCloskey
1119 Pennsylvania Avenue
Fort Worth, TX 76104
Licensed in: TexasEducation:
- Graduated from South Texas College of Law – 1979 (December)
- Masters of Law (L.L.M.) in Trial Advocacy - Temple University School of Law of Law – 2015, Honors Graduate
- Recipient of Edward D. Ohlbaum Award for Trial Advocacy
- Bachelor of Business Administration (B.B.A.) - Texas Tech University – 1976
- Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) - Texas Christian University – 1977
Martindale-Hubbell and other legal ratings:
- Board Certified, Personal Injury Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization – 1986.
- Board Certified Trial Advocate, National Board of Trial Advocacy – 1989.
- Board Certified, Civil Trial Law, Texas Board of Legal Specialization – 1990.
- Board Certified, Civil Pre-trial Practice, National Board of Trial Advocacy – 2012.
(Included in the less than one-percent of attorneys in Texas who are quadruple board certified)
AVVO: 10Trucking specific organizations and leadership positions and awards:
Law Organizations and leadership and awards:
- AAJ Trucking Litigation Section
- Was President–Elect of APITLA before resigning in Fall of 2015.
- Past Chair of Motor Vehicle, Highway, and Transportation Section of AAJ (formerly ATLA)
- Recipient of the Tarrant County Bar Association Professionalism Award, 2010.
- Recipient of second annual “Professionalism Award” given by the College of the State Bar of Texas, 1995.
- Tex-ABOTA (American Board of Trial Advocates, Texas Chapter), President (2010); President-Elect (2009); Secretary (2008); Treasurer (2006-2007).
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Fort Worth Chapter, Past President (2005); Advocate Status, 2005 (Requires a minimum of 50 jury trials) (invitation only organization of plaintiff and defense attorneys dedicated to preserving the right to trial by jury under the United States Constitution).
- Inn of Court, Fort Worth Chapter No. 184, (Eldon Mahon Chapter) Founding Member since 1992 and Past President (2002-2003) (invitation only organization established to promote civility, education and mentoring in the legal profession). Recipient of Sergeant Award in 2007 (given periodically to an Inn member for recognition of special service and leadership).
- Voted as one of the Top 100 “Texas Super Lawyers” for the entire State of Texas by Thompson Reuters Legal, as published in Texas Law and Politics Magazine (Texas Monthly Magazine) for ten different years (2005-2013, 2015). Voted as a “Texas Super Lawyer” in 2014 by the same publication.
- Selected to “Best Lawyers in America” for Personal Injury Litigation, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016.
- Received the 7th Annual Outstanding Trial Lawyer of the Year Award by Tarrant County Trial Lawyers Association for outstanding service and representation of injured and damage plaintiffs in personal injury and civil litigation in November 2015.
- Voted as a “Top Personal Injury Attorney” in Tarrant County, Texas, as published in the Fort Worth, Texas Magazine (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012).
- Recognized as a “2006 Mentor” in the Fort Worth, Texas community by the Fort Worth Business Press.
- Selected as an “Attorney of Influence” as published in the Fort Worth Business Press (2003, 2004, 2005).
- Selected as a “Power Attorney” as published in the Fort Worth Business Press (2008, 2013).
- Voted as President-Elect of Association of Plaintiff Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America, 2015.
- Voted as the “Top Medical Malpractice Attorney” in Tarrant County, Texas as published in the Fort Worth, Texas Magazine (2001, 2002).
- Selected as Outstanding Young Lawyer of Texas, 1988, by the Texas Young Lawyers Association. Selection was made from approximately 20,000 practicing lawyers thirty-five (35) years of age or under throughout the State based on achievements and leadership in the legal and community service areas.
- Selected as Outstanding Young Lawyer of Tarrant County, 1988, by the Tarrant County Young Lawyers Association. Selection was made from all practicing lawyers in the County based on achievements and leadership in the legal and community service areas.
- Grand Prairie Bar Association, “Texas Trucking Update”, April 2006, Grand Prairie, Texas
- American Association for Justice, “Aggressive Discovery In Trucking Litigation”, April 30, 2010, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Southern Trial Lawyers Association Seminar, “MCS-90 Endorsements In Trucking Cases: The View from 10,000 Feet,” February 17, 2012, New Orleans, Louisiana
- Tarrant County Young Lawyers’ Association, “What You Didn’t Know About Some of the 18-Wheelers You Drive Next To”, September 15, 2015, Fort Worth, Texas
- State Bar of Texas Advanced Paralegals Seminar, “Why Should I need to Know Anything About a Trucking Collision Case?”, October 1, 2015, Fort Worth, Texas
- Tarrant County Bench Bar Conference XXI, “18-Wheeler Collisions and You – What You Don’t Know Can Also Hurt You,” April 26, 2014, Montgomery, Texas
- $19.5 million trucking settlement - double fatality - 18 wheeler parked on the side of the highway.
- Largest wrongful death trucking jury verdict in McClennan County, Texas (Waco) - $17 million on a $0 offer case against Celadon, Inc.
- $8.7 million trucking settlement against Heckman Water Resources, Inc. in Panola County, Texas (Carthage). Second largest personal injury settlement recorded in Texas for 2013 according to Top Texas Verdicts & Settlements of 2013.
- The first trucking case I handled was in 1987. Our practice continues to concentrate on trucking cases, as well as other meritorious serious personal injury and wrongful death cases.
- Additionally, I have co-authored a book chapter. Laird, Steven C. and Leighton, John E., “Medical Experts: Coordination of Witnesses”, Chapter 10 of Legal Guide to Spinal Cord Injuries and Expert Testimony, published by John Wiley & Sons, Inc. - 1995.
- I was also on the faculty for AAJ’s (formerly known as ATLA) Ultimate Trial Advocacy College at Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts, 2001.
- Recipient of Army Commendation Medal, 1974. Honorable discharge.